Instituted January 8,1827, Chartered January 16,1828
On the recommendation of Milford Lodge No. 54. The Grand Lodge of Ohio granted a Charter to 8 members, William Crane, R. Cunningham, F. Barman, Abraham Crist, Jeremiah Leyman, James W. Robinson, J.A. Reeder, and John Cross. The members met and elected J.W. Robinson, Worshipful Master, J.A. Reeder, Senior Warden, and Abraham Crist, junior Warden.
After only four years on November 10,1832 the Lodge met and adjourned without day Grand lodge was informed and due record was made in Annual Proceedings.
The Lodge jewels (Hand made by a Reading Jeweler) were loaned to Batavia Lodge by the Grand Lodge and later sold them.
Fourteen years later on October 21,1846 Grand Lodge session in Dayton adopted a resolution to resuscitate Montgomery Lodge No. 94 and voted to refund the price of Jewels sold to Batavia Lodge for fifty-three dollars ($53.00).
By the generosity of the members of Batavia Lodge, the original jewels were returned to Montgomery in a presentation at our Stated Meeting in June 2016.
The Lodge met ever since first in 1846 in various homes in Montgomery and while the present Temple was being completed in 1961 met at the Pleasant Ridge Temple. Our first meeting place in Montgomery was Sage's Tavern, now Bartons Bakery (1828 to 1832). After Grand Lodge gave consent to work again in 1846, our home was James Ayers Building now Pure Oil Station (1846 to 1879). In 1879 we moved into D. Parrotts store on the second floor. This building was also known as the Denmand Building and we met here from 1879 to 1937. We moved into the basement of our present Temple May 22,1937 and remained in this room until our present Lodge Room was dedicated by M.W. Grand Master Daniel C. Jenkins, January 16,1962.
Dues at the time of Charter were .12 1/2 per month payable in advance. Our Stated Meetings are on the Tuesday on or before the full moon of the month and of no full moon changes in any month, the Stated meeting in such month shall be held on the last Tuesday of that month. This can cause 13 meetings in some years.
Montgomery Lodge has been served by 116 Worshipful Masters and 39 Secretaries in its 188 years (to yr 2016).
Milford Lodge is the Mother Lodge and the one who gave us our backing. Records show we received their recommendation and through this, our Charter from the Grand Lodge. Montgomery Lodge later became the Mother Lodge of Pleasant Ridge Lodge #282, chartered October 22 1856.
When monies did not materialize from a fund drive started in 1927, the Lodge used up what monies it had, and then made an agreement with the builder to just finish the basement in 1937 and met there until 1961 when the second floor was added and the Lodge finally completed.
Laying of the Cornerstone was on October 1,1961, just 115 years after the Grand Lodge resuscitated the Lodge in Dayton, October 21,1846. The program was under the direction of M.W. Brother William M. Judd, P.G.M. acting under the direction of the Grand Master M.W. Brother Charles Strayer.
The Grand Lodge of Ohio in Special Emergent Communications at Montgomery, Ohio on January 16,1962, for the purpose of dedicating the Lodge Room of Montgomery Lodge No. 94.
Five members of Montgomery Lodge #94 have served as District Deputy Grand Master of the First Masonic District. They are:
R.W. Brother Harold Cowles 1970 - 71 - 72
R.W. Brother H. Clayton Powers 1974 - 75 - 76 (Appointed Grand Chaplain 2 times)
R.W. Brother George Ward 1989 - 90 - 91
M.W. Brother Ronald R Rogers 1984 - 85 - 86 , he then went on to be installed Grand Master of Grand Lodge of F. & A.M. of Ohio in October of 1999
R.W. Brother L. John Lasonczyk 2011 - 12 - 13
The Grand Lodge of Ohio was opened in special Emergent Communication at Montgomery, Ohio on May 20, 1962 for the purpose of laying the Cornerstone of the Montgomery Presbyterian Church.
In 1985, Liberty Lodge #646 merged with Montgomery Lodge. Then in 1995 Pleasant Ridge Lodge #282 merged with Montgomery Lodge.
In the preparation of this work we owe a debt of gratitude to those who have made this possible; Brothers Edwin L. Strawser, and H. Clayton Powers, both dedicated Past Masters who gave of their time and energy to make this History complete. Finally, to all the Brothers who gave information on our Lodge History.
Joseph G. Burg, Preparation of Material from Montgomery Lodge
This is only a brief part of the entire Montgomery Lodge History document. Please visit our Complete History Pages for more information about Montgomery and Pleasant Ridge Lodges. Unfortunately we don't have a history available of Liberty Lodge at this time.